Week 2 Reading Overview

 Week 2 Reading Overview

Ramayana

The Ramayana that I have chosen is "Tiny Tales" by our Professor, Laura Gibbs. I really loved this option right away because of the "short and sweet" stories that are included in the book. As stated, it provides more information on the backstory and more folklore variations compared to other Ramayana books. 

Comic Books

The two comic books that I have chosen to further educate myself about are the tales of Shiva and Parvathi and the tales of Parashurama. I am interested in learning more about Shiva and Parvathi due to my familiarity of the topic. I find it very interesting how Parvathi is the reincarnation of Shiva’s first wife Sati – and the relationship Shiva has with his two sons: Kartikeya and Ganesha. Parashurama was the sixth reincarnation of Vishnu, and I found it interesting how he led his life. He was born to protect the innocent individuals from danger, yet later in life he is seen to be isolated from everyone. 

Shiva and Parvathi's Story

Parashurama's Story

Videos

The two videos I watched were "Rama and the Ramayana: Crash Course World Mythology #27" and "Miracles of Lord Krishna". I enjoyed how the crash course explained how each of the characters: Rama, Sita, Lakshmana, or Hanuman could have been the protagonist of the story. It really goes to show that each person plays a crucial role in the outcome that follows. I was also interested in how Krishna gave the “medicine” each person deserved in his story. There was an underlying symbolism of “karma” that played throughout the story. 

Rama and the Ramayana


Parvathi and Shiva (Wikimedia Commons)

I found an image of Lord Shiva and Parvathi and recognized them quite immediately. It suited well as I thoroughly enjoy learning more about their story. 


Comments

Popular Posts