Istanbul, Turkey. Favorite Place.

Istanbul, Turkey

In the spring of 2014, I visited Istanbul, Turkey with my family. Upon first arrival, I was immediately immersed into the bustling of the rush hour traffic, against the faint crisp air.In this blog I will be talking about two out of the many places I visited, Spice Bazaar and the Blue Mosque. 

Spice Bazaar                                                                

                           

Spice Bazaar Sweets(Wikimedia Commons)        Spice Bazaar Spices (Wikimedia Commons)

Istanbul is famous for its Spice Bazaar, one of the largest spice markets in the world. The rich aroma from the Spice Bazaar was too hard to resist.  The variety of sweets and spices displayed made me so hungry. My favorite was the Turkish delight, known as lokum - nothing can beat that. The sugary cube sweet infused with rosewater and pistachios (my personal favorite) was just a bite of joy. 

Blue Mosque

 
Blue Mosque Courtyard (Wikimedia)

The Blue Mosque was an astonishing site to visit. From the breathtaking exterior to the exquisite interior, the architecture was commendable. The stain glass windows, ceramic tiles, and scriptures on the wall, created a peacefully sound environment. This was a site that moved me and allowed me to reflect on life! 

I would definitely go again if given the chance!

Comments

  1. Hi Aarushi! I don't normally do school stuff on weekends, but I was so excited when I saw you had written about Istanbul that I had to leave a comment: it is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited too! I was there a long time ago, in 1986, right after I graduated from college. I hope you will get to go back there again! In this class, you will see I use a lot of illustrations for the epics that come from Mughal artwork, and culturally Mughal art belongs to what people sometimes refer to as "Turco-Persian" culture. If you're curious, here is an article at Scroll.in about some Mughal illustrations for the Ramayana; I think they are really beautiful, and you will see some of these images coming up for the reading in class! :-) exquisite Mughal miniatures of the Ramayana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your reply Laura! I will definitely take a look at the article - as I have a big interest in Mughal artwork.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts